Hyper-V VM Backup with Checkpoints
KB ID: 104005
This error occurs when attempting to back up a Hyper-V virtual machine (VM) that has checkpoints.
This issue is relevant under the following conditions:
1. If you are using Windows 2012 R2 or an earlier version.
2. If your BDRSuite version is 4.0.2 or below.
- Hyper-V VM backups with checkpoints are supported on Windows Server 2016 and later versions.
- For BDRSuite version 4.1.0 and above, backups of Hyper-V VMs with checkpoints are supported.
To successfully back up a Hyper-V VM with checkpoints, you can follow one of the solutions below:
Solution 1: Upgrading BDRSuite Backup Server
1. Upgrade your BDRSuite Backup Server to version 4.1.0 or a later release. Refer to the BDRSuite Software Update Guide for detailed instructions on the upgrade process.
2. Upgrade your Windows Hyper-V Host machine (the host being backed up) to Windows 2016 or a newer version.
Solution 2: Deleting Checkpoints
1. Open Hyper-V Manager and select the virtual machine for which you want to delete checkpoints.
2. In the Checkpoints section, right-click on the checkpoint you wish to delete and select "Delete."
3. If you want to delete a checkpoint and all subsequent checkpoints, right-click on the earliest checkpoint and choose "Delete Checkpoint Subtree."
4. Confirm the deletion in the Delete Confirmation dialog box and click "Delete."
5. After deleting the checkpoints, the backup job will resume its regular schedule, or you can manually initiate the backup job by clicking on the "Run now" option.
6. It is recommended to restart the VM after deleting the checkpoint.
The action of "Delete" for checkpoints cannot be reversed. Please exercise caution when deleting checkpoints to avoid data loss.